As a privately-held, family-run company, we’ve enjoyed a long and eventful history. Clark Freightway was established in 1957 by James (Jimmy) Clark (1932-1997), who started the business by serving Williams Lake, Quesnel and the Okanagan.
Our early success was attributable to Jim’s commitment to provide fast, efficient service at a fair price (as you can see, nothing has changed in the intervening decades).
Eventually, our business expanded to include meat, fish, poultry, and any foods requiring temperature control. In the 1970s, Clark Reefer Lines Ltd. became a major LTL food carrier in BC.
Expansion continued throughout the 1980s, with service reaching Smithers, Terrace, Prince Rupert and the Queen Charlotte Islands. Our main terminal in Burnaby was expanded to 24 doors, and our Kamloops terminal was moved to a larger, more modern facility.
Service expanded again in the 1990s to Vancouver Island due to new terminals in Victoria and Nanaimo: this made us a genuine service provider to virtually every region in BC. Before long, 3,000 square feet of office space was added to head office in order to accommodate further growth.
In September of 2009 we moved into a new head office with a state of the art cross-dock facility. Located in Coquitlam, this is one of the most advanced headquarters in the industry with a temperature controlled warehouse and a brand new maintenance facility (including wash bays).
Today, we continue to invest heavily in new technologies and equipment to enhance our services (most recently, we opened a new Kelowna terminal and undertook expansion to the Sunshine Coast and the Squamish/Whistler corridor). We also continue to develop and implement new and innovative human resource practices and quality control procedures, so as to meet the ever-changing needs of BC’s transportation market.